Since I've mentioned before how Wes has become fearless in and around the water, we decided to get him into some swim lesson ASAP and signed him up at our local YMCA. I love discovering things that are just around the corner from us, but that we've never checked out in the years living in Costa Mesa. And our local Y is a great discovery! Anyway, we signed Wes us for two weeks of lessons every day, Monday through Thursday for 25 minutes (June 18th-28th). I thought the intense two weeks might get him water safe, but I think it actually just made him more confident. We'll definitely need some more lessons before he's swimming laps!
The first week was overcast and the other two kids in the class were NOT interested in swimming, the little girl even cried the entire lesson for the first three days! I almost switched Wes to another class because the instructor, Andy, had to spend so much time coaxing the others off the top step that it seemed like so much time was being wasted...
...but then the sun came out and the other kids got comfortable and Wes got even more comfortable (which translates into silly). So I guess in the end, it was all fair and even, the first week the other two were a little distracting and the second week, Wes was doing the distracting. It's always interesting to see the ways God tells me to relax and be humble. I still think he learned a lot about technique- kicks and big arm scoops, which is what he needed.
I think lots of practice is in our future and probably some more lessons!
No comments:
Post a Comment