Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sand Castles!

On Sunday October 3rd, we headed down to Corona del Mar for Newport Beach's annual Sand Castle building contest! The day was a little dreary but the weather was perfect for all the architects.

Grandpa Al and Grandma Susie (and Haley) came with us.



The builders all got their own plot of sand and had 3 1/2 hours to build. Since the grand prize is only $50, I'm thinking bragging rights must be the driving force behind all the hard work. Building a sandcastle of this size is not an easy task!



Wes loves the ocean. Here he's jumping waves with Grandma Susie.


I truly hate seaweed, so here is Wes chasing me with a big handful. Do you think Daddy had something to do with this???


This is at about the half way point. It was pretty neat to see the different construction methods.



Grandpa Al showing Wes the proper digging technique.


I think most of the day, Haley was trying to make her own sandcastle. She got lots of practice though since Wes kept knocking it down!


Mike and Wes at nearly the end of the competition. We didn't stay for the judging since it was already past naptime, but there were some pretty amazing creations! The competition is open to anyone, so maybe you'll see us building our own giant sandcastle next year :)
(In case you weren't sure, Mike did grow a mustache. It's Stache-toberfest, a firehouse tradition. I can't wait for November 1st!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment