You know that feeling when you step into a room, or smell a smell or hear a song and you're immediately transported to another time and place from long, long ago?? That happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I took Wesley to the Fountain Valley Roller Rink for skating lessons. As soon as I walked in the door it was 1989, I was in junior high and at some kid's birthday party wondering who was going to try to hold my hand during the couple's skate. It was eerie, it smelled the same, looked the same and I'm pretty sure the music was the same. But then I was immediately snapped back to reality by my almost three year old jumping up and down with excitement and my six month old fussing to see what all the excitement was about :)
Wes' cousin Gia has been taking lessons for several weeks and when Auntie Jessica told me about it, I thought it sounded like fun! For $6 you get rental skates, a lesson, and free time to skate. Can't beat that!
Cash decided to put on skates for the first time too. Love that we get to hang out with our cousins!
Wes was a little unsure on his skates, even though the wheels were so tight, they barely rolled. But I haven't been on roller skates in years, so I probably shouldn't talk.
They teach you to put your arms out like an airplane and take little marches.
During the lesson the instructor taught them how to stand up once they've fallen down, and since Wes had the falling down part covered, that was an important lesson. As a parent it's been really interesting to watch my child learn skills that I already have. In my mind, rollerskating is easy, but watching Wes makes me realize what a struggle it is to learn something new. He definitely needs a few many more lessons, but I'm hoping that I'm teaching him how fun it is to try something new and that he can succeed if he just keeps trying. Plus we finished up the lesson with the Hokey Pokey, and nothing is more fun than a dark roller rink, a disco ball, and shaking it all about!


We need to come do this, Sylvie got roller skates for her birthday! Last time we tried roller skating it was like she had spaghetti for legs!!
ReplyDelete