Mike went back to work the day after we got back, so Wes, Cora and I were on our own for the weekend (which having both kids alone for two days after having the helping hands of Mike, my mom and a bunch of family for a whole week made those two days seem like FOREVER!) Anyway, since we had a Saturday with no plans I googled what was going on in Orange County and found out the Costa Mesa Fish Fry was that day. For years I've seen the signs up, but we've never gone, so I figured this was the year! The Fish Fry is put on by the Lion's Club and supports local charities and schools, so it was a good cause too.
We got there around 11 after a long detour trying to find the parking lot, but once he saw the carnival rides, Wes was really excited!
We waited in line to get me a fish plate with fries and coleslaw and then headed over to support the Newport Harbor baseball team by buying Wes a hot dog. Trying to handle Wes, Cora in the carrier, a plate of fried fish and a hot dog with extra ketchup was quite an ordeal. But we finally made it to a table and enjoyed lunch!
After lunch we hit the carnival and I can tell already that Wes is going to be a huge fan of all things carnie. We played this game where you shoot the water and blow up a balloon. We both played and lost to a five year old. Then since he really wanted to go on this "Anti-gravity-barf-your-brains-out" ride but was too small...
...he settled for back seat driving in this little car ride.
Next he wanted to play another game, so we decided on this ducky fishing game, where every ducky was a winner! He scooped up a ducky with the long pole all by himself and won a "small" size prize. I'm convinced every ducky but one says "small" on the bottom! He even got to pick his own prize and settled on a little green duck.
We checked out the fire truck (fire trucks will never get old to this kid!), the police department 's SWAT team's gear and then Wes HAD to check out the fire department trailer. I thought it was just first aid but it was actually a travelling education center so we learned about smoke alarms, whey we need to keep our rooms picked up so we have a clear path to an exit (that one is tough), and how to climb out a window and down a ladder. Very cool!
Then it was treat time and I was disappointed that Wes choose a snow cone since they had kettle corn, but I did tell him he could pick. And he chose the flavors too - lime, cherry and blue raspberry. Sucking out the juice was his favorite part!
And sister was there too of course, she just rode around in the carrier all day. She'll get in some pictures one of these days! Thanks Lion's Club for a fun afternoon!

No comments:
Post a Comment