Since I have just one more year left on my leave from United, (I never got around to blogging about it, but my leave was extended for one more year - until March 2013, which was a huge answer to prayer!) I've been saying that I would like to travel a little bit and use my flying benefits since my family can fly for free during my leave. Plus in all the years that we have been together, Michael has never been to Nebraska with us! So we started talking about a trip to Omaha months ago but when pass traveling, the loads mean nothing until a couple of days before the day you want to leave. So I started watching the loads on Monday May 21st, and by Tuesday we decided to hop on a plane Thursday! The nice thing about last minute pass travel is you don't stress about the packing/planning/arrangements, etc. It just falls into place :) Michael and I packed up two suitcases and two backpacks and my mom called our family in Omaha and we headed to the airport. We got seats on the plane from Orange County to Denver no problem, but then sat on the runway for an hour waiting to receive maintenance paperwork. It's hard to believe in this day and age of electronic communication, airplanes have to wait for paper copies. It was hard on the kids just sitting, but we finally got into the air! Wes was so excited to be back on an airplane and he LOVED the fact that the ride was a little bumpy, every time we hit turbulence he laughed and laughed! I was hoping there wasn't anyone sitting near us who was afraid of flying because they would probably be annoyed at the little kid asking for "more bumps, more bumps!"
We bought Wes a little DVD player which was a lifesaver throughout our whole trip and a very worthwhile investment. I also packed LOTS of snacks, which was also a lifesaver :)
Since we left on Thursday May 24th, it was also Cora's six month birthday! I barely made it out of the house with her sticker, but managed to take her picture during our layover in Denver. Cora is getting close to crawling, she's rocking on her hands and knees and has figured out how to roll/scoot to get to things she wants. Which means I now have to be extra careful about brother's little toys! She likes to stand while holding onto things and is even trying to pull herself up. It's nearly impossible to change her diaper with all the rolling and wiggling, she is fascinated with her brother and is just a sweet and happy kid!
Wes loved the moving sidewalks in Denver...
...but sister was too exhausted to enjoy them. We had time for lunch in Denver before waiting for our connection to Omaha, but then we hit our first snafu. The flight to Omaha only ended up with one seat available, so we sent my mom on ahead and had to wait for the next flight about an hour later. But we got on that flight no problem, both kids got a nap on the plane and when we arrived in Omaha, Grammy was waiting for us with the rental car all ready to go.
Looking haggard, but happy we made it :)
So all in all everything went pretty smoothly, and since I had been praying nonstop, I was very thankful! (Pass traveling in the summer - Memorial Day marks the start of the summer travel season- can be a nightmare!) Next we drove to downtown Omaha and checked into the Fairfield Inn which my Uncle Chris manages, dropped off our stuff and, since we were all starving, knew exactly where we were headed for dinner...La Casa! Michael and Cora both enjoyed their first meal there, though I could tell Cora was disappointed that she had to settle for pureed green beans and rice cereal when everyone else was having lasagna and hamburger pizza!. Then we headed back to the hotel for a good nights rest (well Grammy and Wes had a good nights sleep, Cora, Mike and I were up most of the night!). But after a long day, and a big day of traveling firsts for Cora, we were glad to be on vacation and were ready to enjoy ourselves!


I like how you say, "only one more year" of time off. What a blessing! And awesome that you can still use all the travel benefits.
ReplyDelete