Saturday, September 3, 2011

Skyscraper Day

Today, September 3rd (yes, today!) is Skyscraper Day! How do I know this? From a wacky calendar I got from the Oriental Trading Company back in January that lists all kinds of silly holidays and nationally recognized "Days." (Definitely a clever ploy on the part of OTC to get you to buy more of their stuff). Anyways, I remember thinking when I got it, that it would be a fun way to learn about new things with Wes and also celebrate National Polka Day (August 9th). So I set it in a safe spot on my desk where it was promptly forgotten. Thanks to some 7 month pregnant "nesting" issues, I rediscovered it the other day while cleaning. Luckily it was just in time to celebrate Skyscraper Day. I felt a little funny googling "skyscrapers in Orange County" but came across this website which was incredibly helpful. It was also interesting to learn that the tallest building in Orange County (after Knott's Berry Farm's Supreme Scream ride) is the Center Tower which is just down the street from our house. So in between making desserts for our Lagoon potluck (pictures from that to follow later) we headed over there to check it out.

The Center Tower which is adjacent to the Performing Arts Center, is 285 feet tall and has 21 stories. (I know, pretty weak for a skyscraper, but it's Orange County, and Wes is two!)

While we were driving there, I was explaining to Wes that we were going to see a Skyscraper. And he asked "What's a skyscraper?" and I replied "A really tall building." So when we got there, he pointed up to it and said, very dramatically, "That's a skyscraper!"

Running in and out of the hedge maze.

Since it was a Saturday, we didn't have to pay to park in the structure and we had free reign of the lobby, so Wes decided to pose with this sculpture. (Totally reminds me of Beetlejuice)

Going up...

...and coming down. We were only able to go to the 10th floor and there were no windows, so that was kind of a bust, but we definitely had a fun excursion. And Wes learned a little something about skyscrapers!

Here's a few more days we are looking forward to:
Chocolate Milkshake Day - September 12th
National Candy Corn Day - October 30th
Look for Circles Day (???) - November 2nd
National Cocoa Day - December 13th

Here are a few we missed this year, but will be sure to remember next year:
National Kazoo Day - January 28th
Be Humble Day - February 22nd
International Waffle Day - March 25th
No Housework Day - April 7th (I think this should be the 7th of every month!)
Hawaii Lei Day - May 1st
National Chocolate Ice Cream Day - June 7th Followed by
Eat your Vegetables Day - June 17th
I'm probably looking most forward to next July:
National Fried Chicken Day - July 6th
National French Fries Day - July 13th
National Lollipop Day - July 20th
Thread the Needle Day - July 25th (had to throw that one in there)
National Cheesecake Day - July 30th
Champagne Day!!!! - August 4th (ok since Wes can't participate in that one, here's one more)
Wiggle your Toes Day - August 6th

2 comments:

  1. We want to celebrate Chocolate Milkshake Day with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good friend Nadine is...I was thinking remind me when it's champagne day. All about the mommas!!!

    ReplyDelete