Thursday, September 8, 2011

Missed it By That Much!

Here's what we're working on....

...glorious potty training!!
For most of the parents of boys who I have talked to, it seems a little early, but Wes is giving me all the classic "I'm ready to be potty trained" signs. He tells me when he's going potty in his diaper, he tells me when there is poop in his diaper, and he totally gets the physical connection it takes to use the potty chair. So I thought it would be a brilliant idea to start potty training while Michael was gone for 12 days. We could hunker down, bust out a sticker chart (or something) and make some progress. Oh, the best laid plans of mice and men!!

While we've had about 7 successful pee-pee in the potty events (Wes tells me he needs to go, we make it to the potty and it all goes in), we've had two puddles on the floor and this joyous event which happened while I was sitting on the bathroom floor cheering him on. And this happened even with the splash guard on!! In my mind, I kept thinking how wonderful it will be to only have one child in diapers but in reality, I wasn't considering how a) exhausted I would be having Michael gone and adding the trials and errors of potty training, b) how hard it is to get up and down off the bathroom floor a dozen times a day being 7 months pregnant and c) dealing with "the boy who cried pee." More often than not, Wes will now tell me, even when he has his diaper on, "need to go pee-pee on the potty!!!" so we'll run to the potty (and for some reason he has developed an aversion to the downstairs potty, so we're usually running up stairs), take off pants and diaper sit down on the potty seat and then he'll proceed to tell me "don't haf to go." Ugghhhh!!! Now I feel like I've opened a can of worms, and if he tells me he needs to go, I don't want to ignore him and let him go in his diaper, but the false starts are exhausting me! Oh well, I know it will come with time and since his pediatrician told me to expect some backsliding when the new baby comes, I'm taking it all in stride. All I can say is right now I'm really thankful for wood and tile floors!

No comments:

Post a Comment