Saturday, February 4, 2012
A Month of Proverbs
At our church, Calvary Chapel Pacific Hills, Pastor Dave is going through the whole Bible in one year. Which is really super fast considering his last trip through the Bible took about nine years. But last week he was teaching in Proverbs and since I now sit in the nursing mother's room with Cora and four or five other moms and little ones I don't hear the message all the way through anymore. But I did hear Dave say he likes to read one chapter of Proverbs a day for the whole month since there are 31 chapters. He also encouraged us to do the same, so I figured I'd go for it. And since I picked February to start, I'll be a little short of days (but it is leap year, so that helps). Anyway, I'm going to blog about my favorite verses from the chapter I read just to keep myself accountable. I'm really praying I don't miss a day...last night I was even in bed at 10pm, but forgot to read chapter three so I got up and sat on the landing to read and was of course blessed (despite my droopy eyes!). Like always, my blog posts are late, but I'm reading on time :)
Proverbs Chapter 1: The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
v3) For acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair 4)for giving prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the young-
What a task at hand! "Knowledge and discretion to the young"- an important reminder of my duty as a mother
v8) Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.
What a blessing to be raised with Godly instruction and teaching. I pray I do as a good a job as my parents did.
v23) If you had responded to my (wisdom's) rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you.
Followed by all sorts of bad things that can happen if you ignore wisdom -calamity, disaster, distress and trouble. No thank you.
I will attempt to get caught up, but right now, I need to hide my proverbs notebook, or Wes will not be happy. Is taking your child's Buzz Lightyear notebook without asking him wise?? Maybe I need these proverbs more than I know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment