July 14th was a busy day for us! That evening Mike and I were attending his cousin's wedding (pictures to follow) and since Mike came home from work exhausted from being up all night running calls, I decided to take the kids and head out of the house so he could get a long nap. I had read in Westways Magazine (the AAA mag which I love!) about this chalk festival in Santa Margarita, and I knew that was our destination. I don't have an ounce of artist in me, but if I did, I would totally do chalk drawings...fancy ones like these guys can. We had such a fun day and will definitely look for this event next year!
All these tents had a chalk artist making an amazing picture under them. This was a two day event and since we came on Saturday most of the drawings were just in the beginning stages. I SO wanted to come back on Sunday to see them completed!
Amazing!
After being inspired by what other artists were doing, we donated $10 to the local school's art program and received our own box of pastel chalk and a square to make our own masterpiece. Several charities were involved in this event and it was neat to be able to support different ones at the same time.
When I asked Wes what he was making, he said he was just drawing. So I told him he was making "abstract art" and from then on he kept telling me everything was "addstract."
Wes loved the eraser that we got to borrow to blur our chalk lines. You can even see him erasing some chalk off sister when she became part of his art work.
All that expressing ourselves made us hungry, so we stopped for some lunch and a treat...it was a really hot day!
After lunch we opted for more creating and headed to the arts and crafts room where, for just a $3 donation, we got to do four arts and crafts! Wes chose clay sculpting and a wooden medallion necklace which he gave to me. Love that boy (and he was so good the whole time, which made the morning so enjoyable!). But a potty stop ended our arts and crafts time, so we headed back outside so we could...
...do a little bouncing in some of the bounce houses. After that we called it a day and headed home for naps, Plus it was almost time to get dressed up and head out for a nice adult evening!




ohh i love chalk art! let me know when you go next time.
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to see them do those drawings in person and it looks super fun.....we would love to go next year!
ReplyDelete