Watermelons were on sale at the grocery store (and I had a coupon, so I was as happy as could be) and I'd been wanting to make this watermelon popsicle recipe that I tore out of a magazine a while ago (apparently a very long while ago, Woman's Day July 2008. They didn't even have the recipe in their online archive, so I'll type it out at the end of this post.) Anyway, Wes decided on a short nap the other day, so my little helper and I got to making popsicles.
Watermelon Pops: (Makes 12) - I halved this recipe
This is the recipe and I'll add my notes in red:
This is the recipe and I'll add my notes in red:
4 cups seedless watermelon chunks
1/4 cup light corn syrup - I added only 1 tablespoon because I wasn't sure if it was needed for consistency, but I don't think it is, so I will leave it out next time)
1/4 cup sugar, or to taste - I only added a sprinkling, but if the fruit is sweet I won't add it at all next time
1/4 cup mini-chocolate chips
1 pt coconut sorbet, softened - I fogot to buy this at the store, so I left it out. But I bet it would be really yummy with it!
3 cups honeydew melon chunks
Cranberry Juice and Apple Juice
Freeze watermelon chunks on a cookie sheet until semi frozen about 45 min- 1 hour. Blend adding the corn syrup and suger if using. Puree until a thick slush forms. Mine never formed a slush, maybe because I didn't add a lot of corn syrup and sugar so I added a little cranberry juice and that did the trick. Plus it's a better sweetner than the sugars. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Fill the pop mold halfway with slush and insert the popsicle stick into the center. Freeze 1 hour.
If using the sorbet, spoon 2 tablespoons over the watermelon layer to resemble the rind. Freeze 1 hour.
At the same time, freeze the honeydew chunks until they are semi-frozen. Transfer to blender and add remaining sugar and syrup if using. I added apple juice here to make it slushy. Fill mold to the top with honeydew slush and freeze 4 hours or until hard.
To serve: let pops stand at room temperature for 3 minutes to soften or dip briefly in warm water to release from mold. Enjoy :)
Mmmm sounds good! I love watermelon ($4 at Costco). We've been making popcicles with lemonade. Or I'll puree berries and mix them with yogurt for a popcicle. Love summer time!!
ReplyDeleteLove this idea! I have passed it on to so many friends!
ReplyDelete