Friday, June 24, 2011

Strawberry Fields Forever

Since I'd been feeling so busy recently just doing all the "stuff" that needs to get done, Wes and I decided we needed a morning that was simply fun. So we headed to Tanaka Farms in Irvine to squeeze in one of the last strawberry picking tours of the season.




I love my little "Strawberry Picker in Training"



They had slightly overbooked our 11:00am tour, so we waited for a new tractor and enjoyed the space in our nearly empty trailer.





And since it was so empty, that meant more veggies to sample...

Tanaka farms grows all organic fruits and vegetables and you get to sample a good variety on the tour. Here's Wes trying the yellow string beans...



...and celery...

...and carrots. We also tried corn, onions, and green beans. We were given so much to sample that I took home enough beans for dinner that night and enough celery, onions and carrots to make chicken salad for lunch for the next two days!



And then we finally got to the good part...the strawberries!



And they are just so delicious right off the plant! We filled up our basket (which comes with the tour price) and then ate our fill of strawberries in the field!





Searching for the perfect berry...



...found it!!



Definitely a fun morning, with the messy face to prove it!

1 comment:

  1. I hear so many good things about this place. We just have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete