On our last vacation day in Florida we went to Epcot, which is an acronym for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow. Our tour book said it was Walt Disney's dream for a planned city, but after his death it became a theme park. That's some serious irony! This park is huge, 300 acres, and since it was our 4th park in 5 days, we were all pretty pooped! But I haven't been to Epcot since I was a kid, so I really enjoyed it. My brother obviously hadn't been there since he was a kid either, and it was fun remembering the things we thought were so wonderful here when we were kids. We both had fond memories of the Viking Maelstrom ride in the Norway section of the World Showcase. It wasn't quite as wonderful as we remembered, but I think it's just amazing how an experience can make such an impression on you when you're a child and stick in your mind for 20+ years. The only thing I have to say though, is that those vague but fond memories I have of Epcot when I was a child have mostly been replaced by the memories of our current trip. Which, obviously, we had a great time but it's just different. Oh the curse of being so sentimental!! :) Anyway, on with our day:
At the World Showcase Lagoon with Epcot's iconic geosphere, Spaceship Earth, in the background
Next we headed to the ride Journey into Your Imagination, which was really cute. The ride lets you out into the "What If" labs where there are lots of fun interactive stations for exercising your imagination. We loved these musical squares! When you jumped on them, they lit up and played a different type of musical instrument. It was really tough getting Wes out of there!
This is in the Imagination pavilion where these "water snakes" arc into the air, they would even jump over pathways! It was fun to follow them around the pavilion, that is until I wasn't paying attention and one of the snakes soaked my head!
Wes and Grandma hanging out while the rest of us went to see Captain EO. It's back at our Disneyland too, but I couldn't pass that one up!
Wes taking a little rest while we wait for everyone else to ride the Test Track roller coaster.
This is a great ride where you're in a car on a mini highway going through several "tests" in the GM proving grounds. The cars zoom by at 65 miles per hour right where we were waiting, which obviously made Wes very excited!

We did wander through the World Showcase, where you can visit 11 miniaturized nations and we had tacos for lunch in Mexico, which was a nice change from the regular Disney fare. Auntie Monica and Uncle Chris rode the spinning ride Mission: Space and on our way out we posed with the floral version of Mickey, Minnie and Pluto.
The next day, our flight home was uneventful and this time Wes slept for an hour and a half on the plane, which definitely helped! Though it seemed to take a lot longer to get home :)
We had such a fun vacation! Thanks so much to Grandma and Grandpa for taking all of us! We'll always remember it! Wes is still talking about "Mi-ee"'s house!
No comments:
Post a Comment