Today I am 36 weeks pregnant...and tomorrow we are having our kitchen torn out. A full kitchen remodel right now is just pure insanity but we love to make things difficult on ourselves! We have been talking about remodeling our kitchen since we bought the place in 2004, but a cosmetic makeover by Mike several years ago, stalled things (when this is all over, I'll do a Before, when we bought the place, a Middle, the way it is in these pictures, and an After, brand new kitchen, montage. Anyway, when we decided that moving wasn't an option right now we decided to go ahead with the little room addition (which has been so great) and a kitchen remodel. For the kitchen, we started at Ikea and had a kitchen designed by them. Then my dad talked us into getting a quote from Fernando, a custom cabinet/kitchen guy who has done work for us before (he built our entertainment unit) and has remodeled the kitchen of my parents and most of their friends. His bid was just too pricey for our budget so we were all ready to order our kitchen from Ikea when Fernando called Michael and told him a big job of his had cancelled and he was willing to negotiate the price and time line of the remodel. In the end we settled on a completely custom kitchen for just a little over the Ikea price (and a big bonus was that Mike wouldn't have to do any of the work!) and a "completion date" of November 14. (Please pray that this date sticks and there are no hiccups!!)
So last Friday, Mike and I began packing up the kitchen. Then I spent the weekend being showered with love from friends and family (baby shower pictures to follow) and Mike went back to work Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I finished packing the kitchen those days and now tomorrow is the big D-Day (demo)!
What a mess! All this stuff is now in the garage with a little mini food prep area, but takeout and microwave meals are on the agenda for a while!
And here is the kitchen all empty. Please don't ask if I was cleaning the counters before they rip them out because the answer will be "maybe."
Progress pictures to follow!
Cant wait to see the end result!
ReplyDelete