Before Wes goes to bed, we always say prayers together, and each night we pray for someone in our family or one of our friends or acquaintances. I think it's important that Wes learn what a gift it is to pray for others and to lift their needs up to God, rather than just our own. So here's how our conversations have been going recently:
Mama: "Ok buddy, time to say prayers. Who should we pray for tonight?"
Wes (and guaranteed this is his response every night): "Mickey"
Mama: "Ok, we'll pray for Mickey, but let's pray for someone we know too" :)
I have to say, coming up with a way to pray for the world's most famous mouse is a little difficult night after night!
And Wes said this one this morning:
We were playing and being silly, which always riles up a toddler and Wes got a little too animated and hit me on the shoulder.
Mama: "Ouch buddy, that hurt! Please don't hit"
Wes: "Sorry mama. Sorry hitting"
(and we've been working on saying 'sorry' when he does something wrong, spontaneously rather than being prompted. And I've also been trying to teach him to say sorry along with what he's sorry for, hopefully helping him realize what behavior is not ok. This was the first time I've heard him say both without prompting.
Mama: "Good job Wes!!! Good job saying sorry and and for saying sorry for hitting! That makes mama so happy. And you know what else, it makes Jesus happy too, because you did the right thing. Good job!"
Wes: "Make Mickey happy"
Mama (Laughing): "Yes, buddy. I'm sure Mickey is happy too"
I know someday Wes won't consider Jesus and Mickey equals, but right now I'm kind of getting a kick out of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment